Saturday, March 19, 2011

Yesterday was my friend's 23rd birthday

I still don't think I am very good at praying when I'm surrounded by people, or when I know that all ears are listening intently on the words that will come out of a prayer's mouth. Yesterday was my friend's birthday. She is a special girl and she is now 23 years of age. She's been through a lot of tough times as a child who did not feel loved and was constantly bruised mentally, emotionally, and physically. She's now 23 years of age, and she has become such a beautiful person inside and out. I can see the look on her face that she's been through a lot--that she's seen many sufferings on her own account and those of others. But nevertheless, she survived! She's here! And she's happy, strong, and beautiful. I am happy that she is around here in New Jersey where I can reach her still, and I hope that she will continue to affect more people's lives as she befriends them or generously give away her artworks or time to help different types of people.

It's amazing to see that she's come to live in love and not in hate. At the birthday party, she was surrounded by a large group of Christian friends who could make it to celebrate her day of birth. I tried to dress up, and clean myself as best as possible because it was her special day. I even put on some eye liner, mascara, and a frilly blue and white dress. I also braided the upper half of my hair. Luckily, I already shaved the day before because I went swimming with a friend so all those cut marks weren't too badly exposed. On a regular basis, I don't dress up unless I think I need to, which was why I had a dress stored in my closet just in case. :)

Anyhow, I believe we all had a lot of fun. There were many smiles and laughters as people had a good time snacking, talking, and meeting new faces. It was a lively atmosphere. Near the end, as more people left, we began to gather around in a big circle around the living room to share our good moments with the birthday girl. Apparently, everyone had good things to say about her. But I think the best part was when we got to pray for her.

I heard someone say that she was a real testimony--the actual proof of God's work that He does have plan for each of us, just as He does for her. I can see that it's true. She has overcome many obstacles throughout her 23 years of life. Having been adopted by many families, she's been able to see the inside of people's lives, their hearts, and their way of thinking. Perhaps she had to overcome all of the pains in order to see the beauty of God's gracious love--that He will always be there for her and always has been. I'm really glad that she's my friend, and that I got to know her since the fall of 2010. She's given me new insight about life through her words, her actions, and mainly everything about her. Some people might consider her crazy but she's free. There was a time in each and every one of our lives when we were all free. We were all children once. What happened? I suppose we all grew up.

I don't think I've been through very much as my friend, but why do I keep feeling down like so? And why do I let my troubles affect me like so?

I would like to give my friend a prayer (one that I could not find the courage to express while being in her presence, but I guess I would like to do it here):

Thank you, Father in Heaven, for have given us your child. You have blessed us with insight--one in which we could have learned on our own if we lived a thousand times, but you have given us that here and now. You showed to us through her that we can overcome obstacles when we put our trust in You, Lord. I also thank You for having given my friend a blessed environment where she is safe and happy through being surrounded by her Christian friends. They are her family, Lord. Please allow us to gather the courage and energy to protect her as we all continue to protect our neighbors in the way that each of us would like to be protected by You, Lord. Thank you for the joy that she offers and the love that she spreads. Sometimes many of us forget, but we are again reminded that there is more to life than simply sadness, suffering, and pain. I pray that you will continue to work in her life for she is your daughter and she loves You. Thank you for faith, and courage; and thank you for my friend. Amen.

2 comments:

  1. It's good to know that your friend has overcome and is able to celebrate with others. Keep praying-God hears all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, it's always good to see people overcome. They just have to know that they do have the inner strength and it starts with the mind. It's not easy to do, but most of the time all that we have to do is to really decide to move forward and believe that we can make it.
    Oh, and she's grateful that she is here with us, too. ^^

    ReplyDelete